Magna is an innovative leader in the development and manufacturing of high quality complete seating systems. Our solution includes seating structures, mechanisms and hardware, as well as foam and trim products for global automotive, heavy truck and bus industries. Our capabilities include market and consumer research; full concept development; design and engineering capabilities; testing, validation and world-class manufacturing. Our award-winning seating solutions are developed from consumer research, finding the ease of operation to be comfortable, convenient and connected.
The Product Engineer provides technical expertise to facilitate the organization in meeting customer requirements through assisting in the design of products and / or improving current product design.
The Product Engineer plans, guides and leads a program team consisting of representatives from Quality Assurance, Manufacturing, Customer Relations, Production and Purchasing to ensure that customer product design is achieved to Cam-Slide's standard in quality, cost, in-house procedures and customer requirements.
The Product Engineer works independently under the direction and guidance of the Program Manager and is also a key member of the VA/VE, ECN's, PDP, APQP, CI, SRED and program team activities.
- Liaise and communicate with Magna Seating Corporate Engineering, customers and the following departments: Manufacturing, Purchasing, Manufacturing Engineering, Sales and Quality Assurance to fulfill objectives of a product program and to ensure customer requirements are met
- Work with customers on resolving issues that arise. This position requires the incumbent to be available for frequent travel in order to manage issues on site when necessary. Travel may be in the form of car or plane. A valid passport is required.
- Work with customers in facilitating the production implementation of product design and in improvement of existing products
- Attend and present information regarding program / projects in meetings
- Remain current in the evolving field of product engineering or mechanical engineering through reading professional journals, other relevant publications and taking relevant training courses
- Meet program timing and customer due dates
- Use appropriate internal systems to release new designs and design changes to Cam-Slide departments, oversee smooth implementation of design changes into production
- Assist Magna Seating Corporate Engineering in the design of products according to customer requirements. Provide Manufacturing Feasibility Input during the design development and launch / production implementation
- Participate as a team member in program reviews / APQP meetings to review timelines, requirements, team member responsibilities and due dates
- Develop and Manage engineering deliverable timelines
- Recommend, develop and manage Product test requirementsl; analyze data and results
- Make product engineering judgements based on sound engineering principles and supporting data
- Review progress of team to ensure that timelines are being met and escalate as appropriate any issues that might affect timing
- Maintain records of all product, development activities using online systems, SharePoint, Agile and ISOQUEST database
- Analyze and resolve problems
- Provide technical support to internal departments within Cam-Slide
- Ensure that new technology, developed at Cam-Slide, is filed for patent
- Maintain confidentiality of all information received from the customer / company
- Manages and tracks ECN and VAVE meetings
- Maintain and adhere to all IATF16949 process maps, procedures and work instructions
- Actively participate and support all 5S activities and initiatives
- Adheres to all MAFACT requirements
- Must comply with all ISO 14001 (Environmental) and OHSAS 18001 (Health and Safety) systems and standards as it pertains to their work
- Abide by all AODA and C-TPAT procedures that apply to their position
- Bachelor Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent experience
- Excellent planning, prganizatioanl and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of techniques and processes used to produce prototype and production components / assemblies
- Advanced experience with computer programs such as Excel, Project, Word, PowerPoint, CAD experience an asset
- Knowledge of GD&T, Design for Manufacturing, Design for Service, Design for Assembly, FTA, 8D, VA/VE, DOE, Failure Mode Effect Analysis (DFMEA /PFMEA), dimensional stack analysis
- Automotive / Manufacturing experience an asset
- FEA and Kinematic Analysis Tools preferred
- Successful experience in dealing with customers
- Excellent skills in public speaking to small / medium sized groups in the capacity of an engineer to lead meetings
- Valid Passport and ability to travel by land or air as required
Accommodations for disabilities in relation to the job selection process are available upon request.